It’s here! Mobilegeddon!
What you need to know
So what’s the big fuss? In short, the mobile friendly update will potentially give a ranking boost to mobile-friendly pages in Google’s mobile search results.
So to make things easy to follow, we’ve bullet pointed some facts which should answer most of your questions:
- The algorithm is launching today (21st April 2015).
- This update will impact only mobile searchers and it will give a ranking boost to mobile-friendly pages in Google’s mobile search results only. It will have no impact on your desktop rankings or tablets.
- The only way to know if your site is already indexed by Google as mobile friendly is to see if your site has the mobile friendly label in the mobile search results. Using the mobile friendly testing tool will show if you pass the test: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/
- Unlike Panda or Penguin, the mobile friendly algorithm is run in real time. Sometimes the mobile friendly label can be delayed in showing up in the search results, but Google will pick up on those changes in real time.
- Early tests show that it can take anywhere from a few hours to over 72-hours if you do everything right for Google to show your web pages as mobile friendly but this could also take up to a month from now.
- This update will not affect your AdWord marketing campaigns, this is only for organic listings. AdWords may have their own mobile factors but this is unrelated.
So if you find your website will be affected, what do you do? Well, it basically means it’s time to go see your website developer. You can get it updated or better yet start afresh and get something built that both Google and your users can access easily no matter what device they are using.
Considering Google’s new update and 71% of Australians accessing social media through mobiles, the time has come where you simply can’t afford not to be a mobile compatible business.