What is Facebook Ad Frequency?
Facebook Ad Frequency is the amount of times your target audience has been repeatedly shown a particular advertisement. But why should we take note of this and what’s its significance?
136 years ago, a London businessman named Thomas Smith wrote a guide called ‘Successful Advertising’ that explains it perfectly. It goes like this;
1. The first time a man looks at an advertisement, he does not see it.
2. The second time, he does not notice it.
3. The third time, he is conscious of its existence.
4. The fourth time, he faintly remembers having seen it before.
5. The fifth time, he reads it.
6. The sixth time, he turns up his nose at it.
7. The seventh time, he reads it through and says, “Oh brother!”
8. The eighth time, he says, “Here’s that confounded thing again!”
9. The ninth time, he wonders if it amounts to anything.
10. The tenth time, he asks his neighbour if he has tried it.
11. The eleventh time, he wonders how the advertiser makes it pay.
12. The twelfth time, he thinks it must be a good thing.
13. The thirteenth time, he thinks perhaps it might be worth something.
14. The fourteenth time, he remembers wanting such a thing a long time.
15. The fifteenth time, he is tantalized because he cannot afford to buy it.
16. The sixteenth time, he thinks he will buy it some day.
17. The seventeenth time, he makes a memorandum to buy it.
18. The eighteenth time, he swears at his poverty.
19. The nineteenth time, he counts his money carefully.
20. The twentieth time he sees the ad, he buys what it is offering.
This method sits at the basis of advertising on social media. The more times you see something relevant to you, the more probable you make a purchase. There is of course a finite amount of times you can repeat an advertisement before it starts to create the opposite effect and begin to annoy your audience. This is known as ‘Ad Fatigue’.
When advertising, generally speaking, you want to aim for a Facebook Ad Frequency of around 4 times. But, it depends on what type of Ad you’re doing and what you’re advertising. For example, an engagement Ad should only be seen 1 or 2 times, whereas Retargeting Ads within your sales funnel can be substantially higher, going up to no more than 10. The type of product or service also dictates your frequency such as alcohol that can be much higher again.
If you would like to learn how to market successfully on Facebook, check out our training options here: Social Media Marketing Course